Saturday, 5 November 2011

Polymer Clay continued

I had a go at making some beads using some transluscent fimo and some extruded clay and then tried using this method to glaze the beads.

I have to say I had no luck with this method despite several attempts.

I then purchased some varnish but found that the beads went tacky.

There is a full article on finishing your beads here:

I have to say that transluscent fimo is not translucent, more a opaque white.

I found some inspiration with this book by Julie Picarello using a process called Mokume Gane.

I loved the patterns and colours in this book.

My attempts weren't very successful. I had no problem creating the stack and imprinting the shapes using various tools that I found in the shed but I had great difficulty in slicing even slices from the stack. Even are cooling the clay in the fridge and buying a brand new blade. I don't know if it would be any easier using Premo as used in the book but I wasn't prepared to buy another lot of clay to try it.

I did manage to produce these beads

and these pieces.

I sanded the purple and green beads and buffed them and did manage to get a bit of a shine. I strung them together in a necklace but was surprised at how heavy they were.

I found some great tutorials and texture sheets by Helen Briel.

I bought these with a plan to have a go but I have to say that on the whole I don't like the feel of polymer clay especially compared to the ceramic beads I have made. I don't think I will be making any more fimo beads but will use what I have left to make molds.

I have been looking at PMC and have booked a course in December. I should be able to use most of the tools I bought for the Fimo on the PMC instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...